Saturday, February 24, 2007

Getting the hang of it...

My first session today went pretty badly. I was met with a lot of coolers, but also made a few big mistakes. The most notable in this hand:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?852138

I got fooled into thinking that the A actually helped my hand. I mean, doesn't it look pretty?
The opponent there was 40/20/2.5, a flop calling station and a min-raiser. His flop call should be scary enough, but since the original bettor made a minbet, my raise should mean pretty much the same thing as a cbet. And seeing this guy was folding only 25% of any cbets, I thought he might have a flush draw or even some funky K. I don't think he'll be laying down KT/KJ type hands.
This is also why the A is a bad card for my hand. This lets him get away cheaply with a Kx, but also puts me in a bit of trouble when he does have the 9.
Anyhoo, I made the masterly play of going with my hand and he flipped up K9. That's all cool though, because I think I just learned one more thing to pay attention to. These lessons cost more than Raymonds lesson, but I'm not going to make those mistakes again any time soon. So I think in the long run it's all good... Just remember to take away whatever you can from you losses to make you a stronger player!

The first session I ended up losing about $300 so not bad considering I had some coolers and also lost a lot of money in that hand above which I didn't have to. I think I learned a lot from the session though. I then started fixing some food, and decided to play 2 tables while waiting for my fish (the food, you nit...) to get ready in the oven. It started out well, but got met by some crazy play. Like this for example, what the heck is going on?

http://www.pokerhand.org/?852358

Anyways, directly after that I got it all-in pre with KK against AA. So got stacked and ended the session right there lol. Was down $600 for the day, but no biggy considering there were some coolers and stuff.

I played one more session which went pretty well. Actually I was up a bit, then I got in a deep stack situation where I had K high flush and the board paired and he pushed in. I folded, asked if he had the FH, and he said "flush, JT". I'm not sure about that... since I had KJs ;)


Anyways, didn't end up too much in the last session, but was good to have a winning session nontheless. The day ended up at a loss of $412.70 over 1364 hands. I think I played really well in my last session. Made some good reads and played a really solid game. After my first two sessions I made small adjustments to my game as well. I think I ended up in the "have to be aggressive" mindset where I was forcing myself to be aggressive and didn't always have a sound reasoning behind my aggression. I know I can read players very well pre-Ray, so the only thing I need to do is change the course of action I take when reacting to what my opponent does. Pre-Raymond I probably took too many passive routes even though I had a good feeling for what my opp could be holding. Now I'm basically playing the same game as I did pre-Ray, but instead I'm choosing an aggressive route when reacting to my opps. This probably doesn't make any sense at all for you guys... Actually when I read I try to make sense of it, but I can't... Ack basically I just changed the way I view this "new" style. Enough of this lol...

My stats were a bit off today. My PFR was too low, but I'm happy with my aggression. I went 22/16.5/4. I would have liked the PFR to be up to 18-19 at least. But oh well, small sample size.
Now I'm off to make a toast.. Old classic cheese and ham toast... Nice stuff!

Post-Ray Results:
Winnings: $554.56
Hands: 2509
Stats: 23/18/4

No comments: